Thursday, January 15, 2009

AVE ATQUE VALE PATRICK McGOOHAN

***************
Patrick McGoohan

Patrick McGoohan, seen here as Edward I Longshanks, King of England,
was never one of my favorite actors, but his portrayal of Edward in Mel Gibson's movie, BRAVEHEART , made a lasting impression on me. In all of his previous roles he came across as somewhat smug and condescending. As Edward, McGoohan was cold and cruel, capturing the essence of the oppressor of the Welsh and the Scots. The scene where he threw the homosexual lover of his son, the future ill-fated Edward II, out of the window of the castle was a real shocker. I never saw him in his most famost role as Prisoner No. 6 in THE PRISONER, but someday I hope to see it and then perhaps I will change my opinion of his earlier roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment