Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SOME PEOPLE GO GAGA OVER CARDINALS, OTHERS ARE IN AWE OF MONSIGNORS, STILL OTHERS PREFER BISHOPS; ME, I LIKE VERMILLION FLYCATCHERS!

************
Vermilion Flycatcher, Male by Charles & Clint.

I have been fascinated by a Vermillion Flycatcher which has, for the past month, taken up residence at the Duck Pond. When I sit on the deck I can hardly take my eyes off of him as he does his aerial gymnastics catching insects. What tremendous vision he must have, because sometimes he flies up twenty or thirty feet vertically and snatches a fly or some other insect out of the sky and then flies back down to his favorite post where he keeps watch. For years I have watched Cardinals, both male and female visit the ranch, but this is the first time for this male Vermilllion Flycatcher; no sign of a female yet.
I doubt that he will stick around after his testosterone starts flowing if a female does not show up. Come to think of it he may not stick around into February because in about three weeks the Purple Martins will start returning and since I have 96 birdhouse apartments for the Purple Martins they will be too much competition for this Vermillion Flycatcher.
I will hate to see him go!

No comments:

Post a Comment